Web Stats Provided By Google Analytics

Search B Media Network's New York City Career Hub And Everything Linked To In The Postings

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Trying to hide your scandalous past

Dear Employment Hub Editor, A couple of years ago I was falsely accused of something that erupted into a huge scandal. (Well, huge in our area.) My name was in all the papers and if you search on my name lots of bad things pop up. I didn’t actually commit the crime of which I was accused and the prosecutor ended up dropping charges, but nevertheless, my reputation was destroyed.

 I was fired from my job as part of this mess and I’ve been at home with the kids ever since. I want to go back to the workforce, but honestly I’m scared to death to apply under my legal name. Can I apply under my maiden name instead? What will happen if I get hired and then say, “Oh by the way, I’m not Jane Doe, I’m Jane Jones?”

ANSWER:


 If you want to go the hiding route, there are some pitfalls there. You are fortunate to be a married woman (or divorced but kept your married name) with a whole unused maiden name just sitting out there.

There are plenty of women who change their name legally when they marry, but are known professionally by their maiden name.

This is especially popular for women who had already established themselves professionally prior to marriage, but still wanted to change their name. But, it's not just as simple as going by another name.

Most applications will ask if you are known by any other names and you would have to list your legal last name (and, in fact, any names you've been known by, in case you've been married four times and changed your name each time).

This is for the background check and is necessary to track down transcripts and the like. Additionally, your Social Security number will be run through a check to make sure you haven't stolen the card. The number will need to match your legal name.

 Hiding behind your maiden name may or may not hide results about your scandal. And any company that asks you for information for a background check will find out anyway.

So it may well not be worth your time. But, if you'd like to be known professionally by your maiden name, that's fine. But make sure you tell your for references so they don't act confused when someone calls about you.

 But I strongly recommend being upfront and honest about the whole mess. It may make it more difficult in the beginning, but you won't spend your life afraid that someone will find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

B Media Network's New York Career Hub's Popular Posts